Saturday, July 18, 2009

Managing Stress

So, you're writing. Good shit. Creating worlds, characters, and situations that are completely under your control. Unfortunately for you, the real world around you isn't. Let's face it. World sucks. It's just a matter of sucking it up and dealing. But as we all know, when we're stressed, we can't really work as we should. There are a couple of things I know of that can help you through that get you working again.

Damn, where would I be without the blessing on the numbered list?

1. Just Relax.
Obvious statement is obvious. This is a time for you. A time to escape. That's one thing I had to learn after my attempted suicide fail. You gotta take the time to relax and really just worry about one thing at a time. Also, don't worry about things that are out of your control. They'll drive you mad.
2. Make it Work for you.
Nothing works better then writing off your raw emotions. The beauty of being human. Angry, sad, frightened? Run with it.
I ended up writing this http://www.box.net/shared/njytte4rnv
SURE it landed me in mental hospital for three weeks. But I salvaged out of that, "Hey, it must have been pretty good to freak people out like that. Go America!"
It's during these times you say and do things you normally wouldn't perfect for writing out of my comfort zone.

Live long and prosper.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's some play!

    Sometimes I get a little depressed. Usually, it's weather related, but not always. Next time, I should write about it. I've never really tried to write my way through it.

    Thanks for making me think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Wolfen.

    Too bad it sometimes takes an intense experience to get us to learn these things. Mine was about surviving PTSD for a couple of decades without knowing that's what was wrong with me. Now that I'm doing better, I'm way more relaxed about a lot of things.

    But still a workaholic ;~)

    Not sure I can read the material at the link you provided. I still have to watch what I take in. I got scared when I clicked over to that page so that was my cue. But, yes, also a sign of success for your writing. I have a long history of not even being able to watch the evening news (but I know I'm waaay in the minority so you don't have to worry about your audience shrinking!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendency to scare people sometimes, sorry about that it's how I roll lol.

    But yeah, it is the truly traumatic experience for us to truly put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete