Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fear

Nipping at the heals of my Halloween project is the obligatory post on fear.

What scares us? That's been a subject of study since the beginning of time.
But the ability to truly scare a human being has been reduced to stuff jumping out of the bushes and going "boo">

BOO!

My current task is to instill just a little chill... not full on terror. The terror fades quickly... but the chills can stay with you for a while. The writing of Rod Sterling and Alfred Hitchcock come to mind. They took some really normal situations and really mucked them up. They were still believable and left you with that chill I'm trying to describe. Not scimping on any details, but really rubbing the fact of the matter in your face.

Rod Sterling is the writer I want to be one day I swear.

But back to my story.
I'm gonna have to rape and/or kill folks in this thing. So, I sat down and wrote down all the possible ways one could do so. The question is... how much detail do you put in such a thing? Enough to make someone disturbed? Or should you be more PR to avoid your house being broken into and you being dragged off lol. I think I'll go

We all have a little dark side to ourselves. Owe it to yourself this October to show the angel in yourself the devil inside.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you can scare people by implying things, too. The imagination is pretty powerful, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete